Wednesday, December 05, 2007

I've always been a dreamer, I hide my head among the clouds

There's some gravitational pull of late that inclines me towards listening to the silliest of music. Maybe I encounter too much reality in my day-to-day existence, and so nowadays, everything I listen to has an escapist quality to it. The same might be true of a lot. A friend of mine here, when we finally have a spare moment, always suggests going to see these thought-provoking, dark movies. They always sound great in theory. The last one we were supposed to go see was Michael Clayton. But in the end, when the day approached, I would have preferred to see some mindless shoot-em-up action movie or something in the Will Ferrell genre. I hope this tide turns at some point, because I would really like to graduate from medical school without having turned into a complete moron when it comes to everything outside of the sphere of medicine.

Anyway, of all the cheesy, silly songs I've been listening to, this is maybe the least cheesy. I still think of it as cheesy because I'm sure it has been played on some teenager melodrama soap opera that is on the CW or Fox or something. But I really started listening to it because the lyrics talk of how it rains a lot this time of year. It does, in fact, rain a lot this time of year in Northern California, so I must conclude Jason Schwartzmann is from SoCal, which would not be much of a shock. I'm too lazy to look it up. I also like the cuteness of talking about putting someone in a suitcase. I suppose that taken the wrong way, it could be disturbing or creepy. This just proves that I have no taste in men.

It's weird though. There are a lot of songs like these out lately. You listen to them and you start to think that the person who wrote the music and lyrics was probably envisioning it fitting in on a soundtrack. There's something cinematic about the song, if that makes any sense. It's kind of like those novels that come out every so often. You put them down after finishing them and think, well, it's just a matter of time before they make a movie out of that. I can't help but suspect it was the author's plan all along. The chorus in West Coast has such a crescendo that it's like Schwartzmann was having a conversation with Wes Anderson about a turning point in a drama, and then wrote a song to go along with it. Or maybe that's just my imagination running away with me. Am I just talking loco as usual?

In other news, I'm suffering from severe inability to concentrate and get it together for finals. I have this problem in general. I'm notorious for having problems with endings. When I'm this close to finishing something, I tend to find it tiresome. I keep yelling at myself- I've cleared the big obstacles, why can't I work up the motivation to cross the finish line?

No comments: