Wednesday, April 09, 2008

please don't break the swing of my favorite rocking chair

Do you know it's National Poetry Month? It turns out, I may have needed it. I have been thinking a lot about writing, and why I haven't been able to say much lately. Instead of boring everyone to tears with that, let me reference this:

Language
by W.S. Merwin

Certain words now in our knowledge we will not use again, and we will never forget them. We need them. Like the back of the picture. Like our marrow, and the color in our veins. We shine the lantern of our sleep on them, to make sure, and there they are, trembling already for the day of witness. They will be buried with us, and rise with the rest.


Sometimes I feel this way about everything. But if you feel this way about everything, then what is left?

A lot more is left. But so much of what I feel these days is strange to articulate. Who can explain the satisfaction of supermarkets stocking tangelos? Who can explain the arresting sight of the rolling green hills of the East Bay- how can it still squeeze the heart when it's been seen so many times, and so much else in the world has been seen that supersedes it? How to write- I discovered I do not care for arugula today? How to say I feel a sense of peace that can only come from setting aside hours for no one else but me?

No comments: