Monday, June 06, 2005

the world I know

Several things made me swoon (besides the altitude, that is) in the last few days. A few days ago, I was at the Calera Hot Springs. There is really nothing around the hot springs- they are in the heart of Colca Canyon. Our bus arrived there late in the evening, but the stars studded the sky. I casually craned my head up to the sky, and that is when it really struck me- nothing looked familiar. Gone were the stars in the places where I am accustomed to finding them. In their place, a whole new sky.

Many other things made me swoon as well, but I arrived in Cusco today, and just finished a lovely meal in a lovely loungey bar called Los Perros. Despite its name, it was a great meal with a great atmosphere. I kept threatening to find out who owned the place and marry them, no questions asked. Clearly, the effects of the altitude are manifesting in full force.

No comments: