Wednesday, November 21, 2007

it's okay, I know nothing's wrong

Last night, I slept for 5 hours, got up, took some Theraflu, and then slept for 9 more hours. By the way, Theraflu, while quite effective, is probably the most disgusting medicine as far as taste goes.

I made a cake for a pre-Thanksgiving Thanksgiving dinner earlier this week. It was an easy to make apple cake. I am going to try to make it again, for three reasons. First, I made it in a 9" inch pan this time and that was actually a bit too small, so it wound up being a bit thin. Second, as usual, I was fiddling and bastardizing other recipes, so I have to see if it is reproducible. Third, I was in too much of a rush to take a picture, so there's no proof that it's worth making.

We all ate too much at dinner, and the hosts had a cat, so I figured my allergies were the cause of me feeling a little stuffed up when I went to bed that night. I got up the next morning and was feeling lousy, but I got through the day of classes. However, I stopped at Trader Joe's right afterwards, bought some soups and ginger ale. Then I went home and collapsed.

I will say this. Getting deliriously feverish when in your first year of medical school is somewhat hilarious. You're not thinking straight, but your brain is filled with all these stupid facts that it doesn't know how to put together. Oh, my ethmoid sinuses. And then, my adductors ache. My immune system must have been going heavy duty, because I was oscillating from chills to sweats to aches to lethargy.

All of this is boring, I know, but it's only to say that the body is kind of amazing. Because it feels as though 13 hours of sleep and one nasty dose of Theraflu has got me nearly back to healthy. This is good because I got a last-minute invitation to a Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow.

Because of the upcoming christening, I made a trip to the mall this morning, and all I have to say about that is that I am totally disconnected from consumerism these days. And for that, this Thanksgiving, I am truly thankful.

No comments: