Sunday, September 28, 2008

tell me, what's my lesson

I know that being in school isolates me a bit from the outside world. For example, while I am well aware of the economic meltdown currently happening, I am not experiencing it with the kind of intensity that I would have while I was working for the Man. Some of my classmates are even more oblivious. If you never had any money and were living off of mummy and daddy, these things really do not cause you to bat an eyelash, I suppose.

All the same, I don't think I'm that isolated, so maybe someone can explain if I missed something. Why is there a movie called Beverly Hills Chihuahua being released? Who thought this would be a good idea? What is the demographic? Maybe I have been living under a rock, so if someone could explain it to me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Anyway, due to my ridiculous euphoria over making spaghetti sauce on Friday night, I was easily distracted this weekend by the call of the kitchen- problematic when an exam is breathing down my neck, but there you have it. I decided to give focaccia another shot. In addition to the multitude of tomatoes, my classmate also gave me bunches of basil. I ought to have made pesto, but did not have the necessary ingredients for that at home. So instead, another adventure with yeast and focaccia. I tell myself it's not really wasting time, since I have enough focaccia now to take care of lunch for my entire week. I threw some cheese, sauteed green peppers and tomatoes onto the dough before baking, and I am pleased enough with the end result that I will not be sad to eat it every day for lunch.

The pictures are, as always, horrible. If I had half the patience I have with baking applied to photography, I might stop making people's eyes bleed. But until that miracle occurs, here are pics (click below if you want to check out a picture of a slice of it):

up above it


Oh, since I'm not following any logic here, I'm not sure what was funnier this past week:

  • James Cafferty's reaction to the Couric-Palin interview, mostly because stodgy old men crack me the hell up.
  • Tina Fey and Amy Poehler mocking the interview by lifting direct quotes straight from the real deal. (On the other hand, the debate sketch on SNL was not even vaguely funny. There weren't good jabs at either candidate, which was rather lame).
  • Craig Ferguson making comments about how things are done in America.
  • Chris Rock's various appearances discussing the election and Bill Clinton. It's one of those rare moments that I miss HBO.


On that note, I have to figure out some way to start concentrating on, you know, the pesky matter of a certain upcoming exam.

No comments: