Thursday, June 29, 2006

claro que si

Before boarding the plane to Florida, I made a critical error in the airport bookstore. There, I encountered a book that I was obliged to finally pick up. It's my shameful duty to now report, with much humiliation, that I have never read any Gabriel Garcia Marquez novels. However, I dove into Love in the Time of Cholera, and I can tell you that I now know why I subconsciously avoided him before. He's killing me, peeps. I have so many problems with this book so far, but I can't put it down because I love the style of writing and the romanticism of the story so much. This is going to throw me into a funk, I'm sure.

Remember how I was bragging yesterday about having no responsibility for anything to do with this cruise? Um, yeah, well, as I write to you all from this stinking-of-cigarettes, shabby hotel room, I am eating my words. The only thing this place has to recommend itself is free wi-fi. But when you leave all the planning up to the broseph, you have to suck it up and deal. His girlfriend is similarly unimpressed with their hotel room, so I am sure the broseph is going to have plenty to regret about this reservation without me complaining about it.

I do not know if my whole family has turned some sort of proverbial corner, or they are just too tired from travelling. Either way, I am a little shocked that we have been in South Beach for a few hours now and heard nothing from them. I'd like to say this is because they've finally acknowledged that we're adults that do not need checking up on, but I think that is very likely giving them far too much credit.

So far in South Beach, we have seen a lot of breasts. As a woman, breasts are not particularly interesting to me, but there they are, everywhere, packaged in such ways so as to make them impossible to ignore. On the other hand, I've been gawking at a lot of Euro-looking men with wavy hair. So, South Beach does appear to be somewhat equal opportunity at the moment.

Oh, I have also seen about six gas-guzzling Hummers, and it took all of my self-restraint to keep from ranting at the drivers. Unfortunately, this means I will have no self-restraint left when I do see my family.

Tomorrow, I hope to wake up with a completely improved attitude about this cruise. This means that I will probably have to break my rule about liquor before noon, but a girl's got to do what a girl's got to do.

No comments: