Friday, February 09, 2007

we all want to be big stars

Thanks for all the well-wishes, folks. Also, who knew Richard Marx could be such a comment-generator?

This new promotion thing? Kind of scary. Luckily, I can breathe a sigh of relief and realize I have much bigger fears to face- the fears that come with losing my salary, and embarking on a wholly new adventure.

Last night, maisnon and I met up with CGBF for dinner. You never know how these things are going to play out, because dynamics are a difficult beast to predict. More often than not, I am against any situations where worlds are colliding. But in this particular instance, all went swimmingly. Quite literally swimmingly, because there was a roof leak in the restaurant and maisnon and I kept thinking we were inadvertently spilling water on ourselves.

Anyway, I happened upon this little news item on Stereogum that made me go weak in the knees. Apparently, The Decembrists were playing a show in the UK, and two amazing guests appeared to sing some classic (they're possibly in my Top 100 songs ever list) tunes. And no, I'm not telling you what they are- if you are a late 80s/early 90s music aficianado, you will simply have to visit the site and check out the You Tube videos for yourself.

See, I'm not a rockstar, but I play one on TV. Okay, I play one in the delusions of grandeur in my head that will one day get me locked away in a padded room. But the story made me all dizzy-headed with glee because I have quite an imagination on me. And whoa, what a notion that would be, to be standing on a stage and singing along with your idols. I suppose that could be applied to everything- I suppose it might be equally grand for a young physicist to work with Stephen Hawking. But it doesn't seem as grand, however unfair that may sound.

So, here's my question to you, dear readers, while I wait for maisnon to return from LA and put together the best music meme ever (seriously, y'all should bug her about it): let's just say you were a rock star, a young upstart of a rock star, but a rock star with a healthy reverence for some prior musical movement. Who would you bring up on stage, and what would you sing together? I'm going to come up with an answer to this myself, and maybe by Monday, it will be pared down from 200 songs to 5.

No comments: