Friday, July 27, 2007

but it makes me kinda nervous to say so

Oh my. It is hot here. I mean, HOT. I mean, I have avoided leaving the apartment for more than 15 seconds at a time, for fear that my hair may catch fire. This is going to take some getting used to.

In other boring yet comical moving news, I spent the better part of the morning, when it was only sweltering and not quite at brush-fire warnings, smoothing down packing paper. This sounds as ridiculous as it reads- yes, all that crumpled-up paper that movers use to pack dishes and other fragile items (that half the time are broken anyway), I flattened out to sheets again while on my hands and knees on the kitchen floor. Yes, I know you think the heat has melted my brain and I have finally lost the last shreds of my sanity.

But I like to think there was some logic in it. See, earlier this week, I tried to cram one box filled with crumpled paper into the recycling bin, and was quite alarmed that not very much of it fit in there. I started to have crazy-cat-lady visions of having boxes filled only with paper cluttering up my kitchen, as I kept dropping off small allotments of it every week to the recycling bin well into the new year.

But then I started to think of solutions that did not involve me living in a state of give it on up for Homeless-ville for the foreseeable future. At first, I considered throwing all the paper into my car, driving it to the ocean and starting a bonfire. But a mixture of the heat and not wanting to get arrested dissuaded me. So, that's how I wound up on the floor of my kitchen for hours this morning.

Still- I am happy to report that all of it did fit in the recycle bin with room left to spare. And there are only two boxes of crap now sitting in my kitchen. Once I dispose of all the broken down boxes, it may actually start to look habitable in this crack house.

(By the by, if you, like me, enjoy reading about the problems of trash, I highly, highly, highly recommend you check out this deliciously twisted short story.)

I keep wondering why I don't feel lonely. I am starting to get worried that I am too content in this state. I've been rationalizing that it only has to do with the fact that I was inundated with family the week before I got here, and that I am acutely aware that I will again be surrounded by people in a very short while. But I don't know. It's Friday night and I should be a bit blue that I don't know anyone to go have a drink with- yet, all I can think about is that I finally put together the lamp in the living room, so now I can chill out in front of the television for the evening. Perhaps I have made my life a little too comfortable.

No comments: