Saturday, March 03, 2012

it's hard to dance with the devil on your back

In my last post, I had posted a link to Gotye's Somebody that I used to know. And it is, indeed, a good and haunting song, and a mesmerizing video.

But.

You know, there's a line in the song that I should probably have heeded more carefully- you can be addicted to a certain kind of sadness.

I'm reminded of advice I frequently give 3rd year medical students (I am of the mind that 3rd year is probably the worst year of medical training, and that includes internship). I always tell them- "when you think you're losing your mind, talking to the other inhabitants of the insane asylum is not likely to be helpful." So I always told them to talk to a 4th year medical student (or better yet, someone not even vaguely connected to medicine).

You can't dig your way out of the dark without looking towards the light. I know Florence + The Machine do not qualify technically as all joy and lightness. But baby steps. And this song, no doubt about it, is a step in the right direction. And it's time for those steps, time to stop running to stand still.

But most importantly, there is still time. Time for every one of us who are still here.

No comments: