Tuesday, February 15, 2005

I need a raincoat

Falling over you is the news of the day...first, from NPR this morning, I learned:
  • Kidnapping is apparently quite a lucrative pasttime in Bihar. That was a disturbing way to start my day, let me tell you.
  • FOX apparently feels badly enough about their depiction of Muslims to do a little PSA with Kiefer Sutherland, but not badly enough to actually change their plot. Of course, I don't watch this show, so I don't really know much about how they are handling everything.
  • Umm... dude, maybe I should try to get fired. Because Carly Fiorina? Nice severance package, babe. I hope you put some of that package towards good security, because I'd imagine there are some pissed off former HP employees who were let go thanks to you, and probably didn't get such nice parting prizes.
  • Neither a trust fund nor a ban on asbestos-related lawsuits is acceptable to me. I think the thing that ticked me off the most about this story is that the head of RPM was complaining that a lot of his workers are not visibly sick at present, but are still considering placing claims against RPM, and wah that's not fair. Um... ass-holio? Asbestos has long-term effects. Go read a science book, and learn about how asbestos is implicated in 70-80% of all mesothelioma cases... yes, the big C, my friend. And then, all the other lung problems it causes. Sorry, but if we had this kind of government in the days of Sinclair Lewis, we'd all still be living like The Jungle.

Also, Jeff Johnson's take on the Christo's gates in NYC... the same goes double for me.

Oh, do I not seem as chipper as I was yesterday? Well, I've run out of POM, it's raining relentlessly, and I got more bad news last night, which dashed my otherwise pleasant demeanor. So I'm back to the norm, disgruntled, dissatisfied, uncertain.

Random off-topic wonderful craziness that happens at work- direct quote from a coworker at a meeting: "Let me take a back-stab at this."

Oh, also, you know what's awesome on Valentine's day? Getting a lecture from your cousin, who is 10 years your junior, about the need to settle down and get married. I didn't know whether to laugh or get angry, truly surreal.

No comments: