Tuesday, March 01, 2005

without the breath of real freedom, we're getting nowhere fast

Why is it that, in the Ukraine and in Lebanon, protesting on the streets actually translates to change, but in America, massive protests of the war are met with a shrug and a whatever from the government? I was listening to NPR cover Lebanon's Karami resigning and, as someone born and raised in America after the 60s, it seemed completely foreign and awe-inspiring to me. Why is it that it's the Ukraine and Lebanon where the spirit of democracy is really strong and impactful? In my lifetime, I've never witnessed anything so democratic in the US. It makes my head hurt. Then again, in Lebanon, I suppose you never know- this could all translate to violence, and everything will have gone to hell.

I don't have a psychology degree, but I'm starting to wonder if I should get one. Within the past 24 hours, 3 people have spent an hour a piece in my office having meltdowns of various degrees. 1) These people do not report to me, 2) I am neither a counselor, nor an HR rep [anyone who knows anything about me knows that would be the biggest career blunder of my life], 3) Asking me for career advice/lift-me-up good sentiments is like asking Dr. Kevorkian to give you a reason to live when you're on life support. Oh, and also? 4) I have work to do. Get the f*** out of my office!

Okay, so the last bit was harsh. This is what I get for testing out what would happen if I left my door open a bit more often every day. It's like I suddenly put an open for business sign below my nameplate. Great.

Last night the teeniacs and I went downtown. The weather was finally clear and it was the perfect kind of night to walk around Union Square. I realized last night that I rarely visit this part of San Francisco. It's consumer central. It makes me want to learn to sew so that I can avoid ever shopping for clothing again. At night, it's not quite as bad, as you can peacefully wander around looking at window displays. The teeniacs, predictably, were enthralled and squealing with delight the entire time. They're going back tomorrow on their own, so that they can spend their day funding mindless clone stores like The Gap and Abercrombie & Fitch, without an eye-rolling older cousin in tow. And I have no problem with that, as long as they don't get lost on BART.

No comments: