Monday, May 30, 2005

when may is rushing over you

The fear has been quelled and exacerbated at various times during the weekend. Yesterday, I went on an 8 mile hike. The first four miles were up hill. The first mile, I completely bonked. Dizzy spell, pulsing headache, shortness of breath, the whole nine. When you hike like this, you have to pay close attention to your body (especially when your body is as unreliable as mine). That morning, I had felt a bit woozy, the blood kept rushing to my head when I rose to my feet- but I thought nothing of it. At the 1.5 mile mark, I had to stop and get my bearings. I forced down a quarter of a Luna bar, and sat down for a few minutes. The next 2.5 miles were silent. The friend hiking with me feared we would have to turn around, and waited to hear me say the words. But I changed the pace, and slowly but surely, made it the end of the precipice. At the top, we were supposed to be able to see the city, but instead, a blanket of fog rolled in. But it was welcome relief.

And that was at normal altitude. So, I now expect with even more certainty to write about my experiences getting airlifted out of Machu Pichu. On the other hand, I did tough it out through the bad beginning yesterday. In the past, I would have folded like a cheap suit at the first imbalanced, unsteady feeling. You have to listen to your body, but some times, you also have to coax it out of the comfort zone. Or, in my case, play drill sergeant and bark orders at it.

There's a party going on next door, because the weather is beautiful here today. Since I went out and cavorted all day yesterday, I feel compelled to get some things done today, but I'm distracted by the bass thudding against my walls right now, playing on apparent infinite loop- go ahead and envy me, I'm rap's MVP, and I ain't goin'; nowhere so you should get to know me. Great, 50, thanks for pointing that out to me.

On the up side, all the hip-hop did help me along my morning activities- cinnamon scones and gingerbread muffins with vanilla icing. The contents of the refrigerator are slowly being depleted so that there will be less to throw out before I take off on Wednesday morning.  Now, it's back to packing and planning, and last-minute consumerism. Tomorrow, a fun-filled day of last minute meetings await me.

No comments: