Monday, February 06, 2006

we sat around the pile, we sat and laughed

Yesterday, during the Superbowl, when I really should have been reading for my latest adventure in torture education, I was scrawling down random notes. I feel the need to excerpt the first note here:
    Why is it a Bittersweet Symphony that the Seahawks are in the Superbowl? Wait until at least your third or fourth visit to the big game to be bittersweet about it, b*tches. Right here, Right now: a much better choice for an opening run. I’m glad I wound up picking the Steelers to cheer on, since, at the very least, they have better sense with music selection.

And really, although they made me regret writing that at many moments during the game, I stand by the Steelers, mostly because of one heart-squeezing gadget play that changed the whole dynamic of the game, in my opinion. It was not an impressive game, though it did remain a nail-biter up until the gadget play. Am I the only one that finds Randle El an odd name? I know when you're comparing it to names like Lofa Tatupu and Polamalu, it doesn't seem all that weird. Still, Randle El seems like a name you get on the Planet Krypton.

The practice of placing mic's on players really needs a cease-and-desist order. Jerome Bettis has never done anything for me previously, but after listening to his jabbering on the sidelines, I actually celebrated his retirement announcement, with the hope that I will never have to hear him again.

My cousin B and I decided that, when our family is going on our self-imposed exile cruise this summer, we are bringing along t-shirts that read: Brown and Bubbly. Thanks, Pepsi. It almost makes up for having to watch Mohr, Chan, Diddy, and all sorts of other morons.

Allow me to also rail against the Rolling Stones for a moment. I know I should give Jagger credit for copping to his own irrelevance by introducing Satisfaction with the observation that it could have been played at Superbowl I. However, over seventeen years ago, I went to my very first concert. It was indeed the Rolling Stones playing, in what they promoted as their "final tour" (Steel Wheels, for those of you keeping track at home). Even though this should garner my nostalgic affection, it only makes me loathe them more. I knew my anger had reached new levels when I found myself hoping for "special guests" to appear on stage and break up some of the doledrum. Yes, Britney, come on out and massacre Satisfaction. Hell, bring out K-Fed, and let him have at it for all I care.

Also, by the end of the Superbowl, I wanted to scream: Stop! I do not care what a CODE BLACK is. I'm never watching this show!

Oh, and for you Seahawks fans, that Roethlisberger touchdown was totally shady. Even as a steadfast AFC supporter, I have to admit that.

Okay, I will bore you no more with the other four hours worth of mundane observations I made during the game. I cannot really believe I watched it with such interest, given that I had no strong allegiance to either team involved.

You know, I always thought of myself as Beaker or the grouchy dudes in the balcony, but I guess this probably fits the bill just as well (especially the manic tendencies part):
You Are the Swedish Chef

"Bork! Bork! Bork!"
You're (spelling corrected by me, so how seriously can we really take this test?) happy and energetic - with borderline manic tendencies.
No one really gets you. And frankly, you don't even get you. (the latter is certainly true)
But, you sure can whip up a great chocolate mousse. (um, maybe, except I have never technically made chocolate mousse)

No comments: