Tuesday, February 07, 2006

you like to think that you're immune to the stuff

One evening in Cuzco, A, SP, and I went to a lounge called Los Perros that was so perfect, it made me delirious. Okay, it may have been the altitude that contributed to that wrongheadedness as well. Whether it was the jewel-tone painted walls, or the lack of oxygen in the air, I went a little loopy. This resulted in me eating things that I would have been careful to avoid the entire previous week. Nothing bad could happen to you in a place so warm and inviting.

The next morning, I discovered my propensity for misjudgment. My digestive system scoffed at me, rebelled, and had its way for the next two days. This was cause for some anxiety, as it all happened a few days before we embarked on a 4-day hike. A & I were both out of commission, while SP with her constitution of steel suffered a mild stomachache. The joke was on her, since she wound up on duty as a result, fetching us electrolytes and saltines.

I was curled up in the bed of our hostal when SP left on one such dispatch. After she had been away for fifteen minutes, I sat up in a huff. And then I did the unthinkable. I peeled open a stack of chocolate wafers, and ate them up as if I was in danger of dying of malnutrition. Five minutes later, I was writhing in pain on the bed.

SP returned and was dismayed to see that I was worse off than when she had left. Unable to bear the sympathy, I confessed to devouring the cookies. "Oh my god- what is wrong with you?" she asked. Mind you, this is not the sort of person that makes a habit of saying such things, or starting questions out that way. She was sincerely horrified with me. And personally, I cannot explain it. I knew the chocolate wafers were not on the acceptable consumption list. I knew they were not going to agree with me. But I had to eat them. Some people lose their appetite when they get ill. Not me. I have had severe allergies, had surgery, had stomach flus, had walking pneumonia, and all I have ever wanted to do is eat. Feed a cold, feed a fever, that is my approach.

So, it is with great concern that I must report to the blogosphere that I found myself uninterested in consuming dinner last night. Not too tired to fix dinner, or too feeble to buy dinner, but actually, bonafide, uninterested in eating. Now, I am not going to get all maudlin and tell you to read me the last rites or anything. But, I will say that there are icicles in the devil's lair at present.

In other news, I think this post serves as an excellent example of all that is wrong with blogging. Just for future reference.

No comments: