Sunday, January 06, 2008

all I wanted to be is a million miles from here

Oh my god, I can't believe it, as Lily Allen cribbed off the Kaiser Chiefs. It's been a perfect storm, y'all. Figuratively, literally and everything in between. Evidence:
  • As of this posting, I'm going on 3 days without electricity in my apartment. Fantastic folks at the power company helpfully tell me that there is 'a very good chance' that I will have power restored by the end of the day tomorrow. Thanks, dudes, tell that to the rotting contents of my refrigerator.

  • The geniuses at the Genius Bar called me to tell me that they were now in a position to fix my MacBook Pro. I braved a torrential downpour with high winds, downed power lines, and blown out traffic lights, just so that they could look at it for two hours and surmise that, whoops, they need yet another part, returning it back to me in no better condition...

  • and in fact, in considerably worse condition. Took it back, and then the damned thing wouldn't even boot up. Today, the geniuses tell me they have no idea how it happened but my entire logic board got fried. At that point, I was ready to hit them with some logic.

  • School starts tomorrow.


I know, I know. It could be way worse. After all, I have gas heat, so I have the ability to take hot showers and sleep by candlelight without turning into an icicle. After all, I took the opportunity of being disconnected to pick up Junot Diaz' new novel, have read half of it, and am head over heels crazy loco about it. After all, I totally blew this popsicle stand yesterday and spent most of the past 24 hours in San Francisco, missing the city even while I was walking around in it. After all, the power will come back on tomorrow. After all, after all, after all, yes, true enough but right now, it's hard not to see red.

Anyway, I was going to post a song of the week today, but since I'm typing this from an ancient laptop that is thankfully at least semi-functional, but not functional enough to upload a song, I'll give it another shot tomorrow. The song? Spoon's Don't You Evah- I know, I know, always late to the party. But this song... ah, this song is one of those songs that I find myself playing to try to will myself out of a craptacular mood. In other words, quite useful at a time like this.

No comments: