Tuesday, January 22, 2008

problems got me pessimistic

Sometimes music can go a little too far, but sometimes that's the whole point. I thought all day today about pulling off my last post, deleting it, shuffling the sand over it, whistling and pretending it never happened. Such rambling rage in a post, from me? Never!

But then it didn't seem right. I make up these completely arbitrary rules, I realize, when it comes to blogging. I make it up as I go along, draw lines here and there and then cross them and make new rules to justify them. I realize that. And I realize that some day, I probably will vomit up some ridiculous post that I will, in fact, pull from the blog because of remorse. But for now, it didn't feel right. It wasn't a dishonest post. It reflected a true feeling, even if it was written in a state of heightened emotion, when I usually like to quiet myself down, slap duct tape on my mouth and wait until my eyes start seeing more colors than red.

Anyway. Sometimes music can go a little too far. Listening to this week's song now reminds me of this brash idealism I had when I was young. Had I not been so stupid back then, perhaps I would not have turned out so annoyed with my cynicism. I was never particularly religious, so I am not really sure why I found this song so buoying when I first heard it, when it first came out.

I always wondered what happened to Arrested Development- not the show, sillies, although the show was its own special brand of fantastic. I thought this band and Digable Planets were starting a revolution of some kind. But the thing of it is, this song is problematic. It's all about acceptance, and acceptance is no way to start a revolution.

But sometimes when music goes a little too far, it's useful. Like when you've been heartbroken for some time and you listen to some truly heartbreaking, call-in-the-Morrissey depression-central song, and you find yourself laughing. Music is great, even in instances when I don't relate to it. Music is great, maybe especially in instances when I don't relate to it. It helps define what the feeling is exactly. Or better yet, it helps you to think, well, sh*t, do I sound like that? In that case, I need to dial it down a bit.

All the same (or maybe for all of these reasons), I do like this song. And at some point, the internets will cooperate with me tonight, and it will be up for your listening pleasure.

*


Tom Brady, you better be in working order in two Sundays.

p.s. Working order does not equal three interceptions.

No comments: