Friday, November 05, 2004

I started looking for excuses

Today at work, I had yet another strangely Office Space-like moment. A baby shower was thrown for a colleague and everyone was asked to pass the plates of cake down. I couldn't help it and burst into a Milton-esque but last time... and only a few others got it. I've decided that I'm going to reserve a conference room in the next month or two, hijack an LCD, and play the DVD for people here. Okay, not really, but it would be funny if I did.

Yesterday, I was driving home and somehow came upon a radio station playing a cover of Yaz's Only You by Enrique Iglesias in Spanish. By Enrique Iglesias, people. Subsequently, my brain exploded, and I stopped trying to see the logic in anything. Life's absurdities can be a comfort at times.

I've realized recently that there are actually some Alicia Keys tunes that I like. That surprised me, since I've always thought of her as a bit of a diva who is a little overblown. But I have to admit, I like all the note-belting happening in If I ain't got you, and I like the sultry Diary. Weird.

Also listening to Love & Marigolds from the Monsoon Wedding soundtrack. I had a ton of nits to pick regarding that film, but the score was not one of them. Somehow, this particular piece is apt to calm my mood on this afternoon. I am determined to have a serene weekend. As a friend so aptly pointed out, it's important to go enjoy the outdoors before our current administration pollutes the environment such that the air won't be fit to breathe without a filter. And that was a wee vitriolic, but I'm clearly making progress.
I miss the good part, then I realized,
I started looking and the bubble burst,
I started looking for excuses

Apt, no?

No comments: