Thursday, October 06, 2005

underneath the armor is another good girl

When I grow up, I want to be Ana-Lucia Cortez. I love me some Sawyer, but punching him in the face? Much more sex-ay and badass. And she gets to punch him again next week- squee!

I’m still fixated on viruses, especially since I apparently contracted one of the stomach varietal yesterday. Tricky viruses come in layers. They have envelopes that protect them, a capsid inside the envelope, like onion skins. These layers are designed to protect the precious part of a virion, the genomic material. Everything about the virus, its past and its plans for the future, can be found in the genomic material, the blueprint.

The reason viruses are so successful is that they are designed such that the envelope will protect the inside of the virus when it needs to be protected, and will breach when the virus needs to be let loose. A virus has to know when to keep up its guard, play the field, and when to get serious, unpack and settle down. An M&M melts in your mouth, not in your hand. A virus keeps itself separate from a cell until it senses the right cell for the job.

The fact is, we all have the potential to keep our shell in tact, or to melt. Anyone can melt under the right circumstances. It became clear to me today that it is not time to disrobe just now. Now is the time to keep the precious insides inside. Stay self-contained. There will be time, but that time is not now.

The weird thing is that it’s usually those times when it’s most necessary to stay tough that I am most tempted to become weak, to melt. An exaggerated internal battle, a self-destructive special. I'm a walking contradiction. But at least I’m fighting on the right side for a change.

No comments: