Monday, October 31, 2005

they say "why are you dressed like it is halloween?"

Here's the initial thought that ran through my head on Saturday night, while two butterflies fluttered close by: "They're killing Independent George... worlds are colliding!!" The bro-seph met maisnon, Anna, and Vinod that evening. Though there were a few mentions of mutinies and even the word brimful, it all turned out just fine.

I think I finally have to own up to the fact that my eyes roll strenuously at the thought of Halloween. This is a nearly blasphemous confession if you live in San Francisco. But, I said it, b*tches. Look. I have bills to pay, I have journal articles to read, I have mindless surfing to do on the internet. I have neither the inclination nor the time to plan out and shop for a Halloween costume. Dude, I turned 30 specifically so that I would no longer feel any pressure to participate in such stuff. Seriously.

This year, I'm feeling particularly grinch-y about the whole occasion because it seems to have lasted forever. Friday, everyone at the company was dressed in costumes. Would it surprise you to learn that I chose to work from home on Friday because of this? Have you been reading this blog at all?? Sorry, but if I'm going to spend three hours eating candy and shooting the breeze with people, I will do that at home, or in a bar with my friends, not my coworkers. Then Saturday, every bar, club and library in the city was sponsoring Halloween parties, so again with all the costumes. Sunday, people in my neighborhood were legitimately (thanks for shattering the last shard of sanity I had left, oodles) celebrating Dia de los Muertos, which, in my opinion, sounds fantastically cooler than Halloween or even All Hallow's Eve, so there. And now today, finally, we start seeing signs of actual children wearing costumes. The poor things have probably been feeling mighty left out until now.

All I have to say is this: if all the nonsense keeps me from getting to class on time, everyone is going to have something to truly fear tonight. Boo, b*tches, boo!

No comments: