Friday, December 09, 2005

I'm in hiding

Ah, Friday, that inevitable moment in my week when I think, holy sh*t, how did the week disappear? and son of a @#!!?#@, I only have the weekend to get the rest of this done? State of Procrastination, population: me. It seems to work, however, because the guilt fuels sequestering myself into the enclaves of study central, to anxiously cram every last bit of information into my brain as possible.

Lately I have been feeling like I should not post if I have nothing useful to write. Then I remember that this is my blog, and as such, never has anything useful to say. Really, at the moment, I think it might be better if I spent more time reading Nature. Not that I really care that identification of the dog genome has just been completed. I mean, I understand that this is a big deal. By sequencing each of these genomes (chimps, humans, dogs, fruit flies), scientists will figure out how much ties us together, and how small the differences are that differentiate us. I know that's a big deal. It is even profound. When you think about how little genetic difference there is between you and your nearest neighbor, it really makes you wonder why there is not more tolerance in this world. Still, dog genome sequences- not my idea of a fun read. But that's just me.

I'm spending the rest of the day all Mission Impossible-style. We're talking the television show, not the Cruise-azy version. The funniest of my missions is a secret exchange at a hotel, where a package with my name will be waiting at a counter. How much do you want to bet I get searched under suspicion of terrorism?

In other news, bro-seph now knows I have a blog, but he does not know where. Let's see if I am sufficiently cloaked in anonymity. He has also started a blog. If he posts regularly, I might come out of the closet. I think I have little to worry about though. Yesterday, it took him thirty minutes to come up with the title of his first blog post, which wound up being: "testing."

No comments: