Sunday, April 30, 2006

I will be interesting when you're alone and feeling bored

Once again, I am clocking in because I have maximized my occupancy of every neural receptor. I am full. Unsurprisingly, this leads to babble-blogging. In other words, expect this to be even more nonsensical than usual.

The one unrelated to The Goal activity I engaged in this weekend was to go see Deepa Mehta's Water last night. And while I would love to regale you with a movie review, my thoughts, and all that boring sh*t, lucky for you, my brain is too fried to comply. Instead, I will confess that I swooned, nay, I nearly jumped out of my seat with excitement during the preview to A Scanner Darkly. A who whatsy, you ask?

Yes, folks. The dirty truth is out. Here are the reasons I silently squeed right before a movie about widows in 1930s India:
  • F*ck it, people. I'm only human. Keanu Reeves is kind of cute.
  • Plus, by animating him, it's possible he might actually be able to pull off some acting in this medium.
  • And of course, as soon as I saw the animation, I knew it was a Richard Linklater film. Linklater of making greasy Ethan Hawke likable and calming Jack Black down into an actual humorous individual instead of the next Robin Williams fame. I can forgive him The Newton Boys based on Dazed & Confused alone.
  • Based on the animated Waking Life, also a Linklater film, I have to assume this will be another film that will allow me to feel like I'm on drugs without actually developing a heroin habit.
  • Oh, and who produced the film? El Clooney and Steven Soderbergh. I feel ambivalent about Soderbergh. I still can't decide whether to like him or hate him for convincing me that Jennifer Lopez had some acting capabilities.
  • Okay, and also it's based on a Philip K. Dick story, and based on Bladerunner alone, that ought to carry some weight.

In other news, the bro-seph went to Coachella this weekend, and the weather was breathtakingly beautiful out today. I'd conclude that the universe is conspiring against me, except that it's impossible to believe the universe would put up so much effort on my behalf.

No comments: