Thursday, September 08, 2005

don't blame it on good times

If the Pats lose to the Raiders tonight, expect some gnashing of teeth, followed by kicking and screaming on the floor, followed by out and out wailing, by yours truly. Thanks to hermano, I was out at a sushi restaurant last night when I could have been watching, quite possibly, one of the best tennis matches ever. Maybe that is for the best, as I am quite certain that I would have taken a few years off my life with heart palpitations, had I watched the game in its entirety. Even though I am equal parts infuriated and enamoured of Agassi most days, today I am simply inspired by a 35-year old taking down a 25-year old in an endurance test, 5-set, final set tiebreaker match. And to be gracious and gentlemanly to boot. Andre, you've come a long way, baby. I remember when you were but a wee mulleted bumblebee.

The bro, pseudo-bro PG and I got into an argument yesterday about music. I was getting interrogated for my failure to use my iPod mini in the car. I have a fifteen minute commute. Though the music on the radio is less than fun (case in point- last night, I heard the cringe-inducing song J cited), I can stand it for a short period of time. PG made the statement that always drives me mad though-- there is no good new music these days. I could give the guy a pass if he had said there is no good new music on the radio these days. Mind you, PG is younger than me, which made the argument even more laughable. I'm the one that's supposed to be the cantankerous, old curmudgeon, not him! Certainly, I get nostalgic regarding certain old artists and classic music. But I just think you might as well send in for the AARP membership form and the Lawrence Welk DVD box set, if you're going to run around saying there are no new artists worth listening to.

Of course, PG wouldn't let me just box his ears without resistance. He started asking me to name new albums that I liked. That's when I realized that I have become way too sidetracked by mash-ups lately. Somehow, I convince myself I'm listening to new music, by listening to two old songs that have been mixed together. To further complicate matters, PG is a strict hip-hop fan, so any veering off that genre causes him to make the ugly grimace face. I shut him up with the new Common album, but I'm turning to the blogosphere for help- any other suggestions in the rap genre?

That reminds me of a random thing that JP divulged to me the other day- in Brazil, they call it hippy hoppy music, yo. I dare you to say that without laughing. I can't do it.

No comments: