Thursday, September 01, 2005

that girl is poison

First, a quick note:
Dear Paul RuddDavid,

After placing so much of my faith in you for all of these years, I am sorely disappointed in you. How could you make such a misstep at such a critical junction? You finally realized that you were down with brown, and I commend you for seeing the light. Still, when that bolt of lightning illuminated your brain, why did your eyes wander to the wrong girl?

Would I have been untrue? Would I have changed my phone number and moved so that you would stop stalking me? Would I have left you heartbroken only to encounter you at speed-dating one fateful afternoon? The answer is a resounding NO on all counts.

Oh Ruddy David, in the illustrious words of those crazy Swedes, honey I'm still free, take a chance on me.

Yours,
Me
For any of you shaking your head in horror or confusion, please note that you would have to have seen this movie to make sense of this (as an aside, the film sealed its genius for me by using the theme song to The Greatest American Hero perfectly). Then again, even if you have seen it, you still might be horrified and confused. Sorry. I know this is no time for kidding around, but all I can offer to the blogosphere is levity. I think there's enough sadness and angst out there already (understandably so), and I am not going to add to that with whining about nothing justifiable, not this week.

The company that currently pays my bills just announced that it will be donating a large amount of money for Katrina Hurricane relief. The company that used to pay my bills a few years ago has made a similar announcement. In addition, my current employer is matching donations that are made by us little peons as well, which means my dollar stretches a little further. You can turn your nose up at such things and mutter whatever, tax write-off, but I still feel happy to work at places that are responsive to this sort of thing. In the end game, I really do not care if companies get shelters or whatever else in this situation, because ultimately, it translates to people who need money getting it, now. To me, that's meaningful.

Also meaningful: Amardeep's post today on the flooding, featuring a poet I had to study all through elementary school, one of the few saving graces of growing up in EBF.

No comments: