Monday, September 26, 2005

if I don't win, I'm gonna break even

Manohla Dargis perfectly captured something about Peter Sarsgaard that made me smack my head in realization, wondering why it had not been abundantly clear:
"All that the restless viewer can do is marvel at the snazzy production design and the strange elocution of Ms. Foster's co-star, Peter Sarsgaard (as a sky marshal), who serves up his lines as if he had studied at the John Malkovich school of cinematic expediency."
Yep, those snarky NYT reviewers are at it again. That said, let it be known that, despite the veracity of this characterization, I love me some Peter Sarsgaard. And no, I have not seen Kinsey, and that is why I only love me some Sarsgaard.

I spent the better part of yesterday at one of the loveliest cafes in my neighborhood. I rarely go in because I don't drink coffee and it is quite often too crowded to sit peacefully. When, on the other hand, I am trying to study, a din in the background does not trouble me. Somehow, it works like some kind of noise cancellation device.

When A visited last, he went to this cafe every morning and said the coffee was very good too, so I'm not totally talking nonsense about the quality of the cafe. However, I like the cafe because it is colorful. There's one of those water-pouring-down-stones devices that delivers the gurgling sound of sitting by a brook. They make great varieties of sandwich melts, and they do not use mayonnaise in said sandwich melts-- I hate mayonnaise. They also serve eleventy billion different teas. Finally, while I was there, they managed to play both K&D and the Amelie Soundtrack. This place may actually have no flaws.

Contrast that music with the soothing sounds of IKEA on a Friday evening (with the effervescent maisnon). Just after I prefaced our visit with a confessional on how Friday night IKEA trips were the thing to do in New Jersey, Livin' on a Prayer came on the loudspeakers amidst couches and coffee tables galore. This is not a joke. I have a witness for a change! Oh, also, you should be so lucky as to get maisnon to do the Axl-snake dance for you. Ha ha, suckers! Every once in a while, it's good to be me.

Finally, I'd just like to thank Steve Carell for putting me in a terrible quandary. I really can't remember an SNL episode since Will Ferrell left that was vaguely funny or worth watching, but now Carell has ruined it by agreeing to open this season. And he had to go and host when Whine-ye West is the musical guest. Damn you, Carell!! One thing is for certain- I will have the option to watch it, since I'll be spending most of the weekend nerding out with all sorts of biology. My future bf professor is hitting us with our first quiz today. Wish me some good juju.

No comments: