Wednesday, September 07, 2005

I belong anywhere but in between


three crooked hearts swirl

I'm starting to think I need professional help. I can't, as much as I sincerely try, follow a recipe faithfully. I'm a baking ho! I really tried this time, but the dark side lured me in, and even with something as simple as these cookies, I still had to fiddle by adding a dollop of maple syrup in the dough for no discernible reason. I'm also clearly a sucker for a gimmick, like caramel-chocolate chips. Ah well. Oodles, ping me- a portion of these can be on your doorstep by nightfall. Some are going to the ungrateful wretch I call mi hermano. Okay, he's not an ungrateful wretch; he just fell asleep last night when he was supposed to be picking cookies up from my place.

Something has infused me with vigor recently. I think that something might just be having a plan. Now, I have had enough spectacular belly-flops, enough run-ins with brick walls to know that life rarely proceeds according to plan. Still, as I heard a synthesis professor once say, "Homer's Odyssey is more about the journey than the destination. So it is with synthesis." He was Greek and spoke in that measured, gravitas-bearing manner.

In some ways, it is a shame that I need to have a foreseeable destination to really fuel me. If I was really enlightened, I would look at the whole of life as a journey, and find the destination wholly irrelevant. But I'm far more shallow than that. Without the wanting, I'm treading water, directionless.

Someone just walked into my office and quoted Before Sunset. I also just found out I'm being given one of these gratis. Life is not too shabby, and I should probably just STFU and count my blessings for a change.

No comments: