Friday, January 06, 2006

all around the barnyard

Finally had a little instant messaging chat with one of my favorite people on the globe:
    the Dub: so when you say "you" you actually mean "me"?
    me: dude, have you learned nothing in all these years?
    me: everything always comes back to me
    me: I'm the most self-absorbed person I know!
    the Dub: ha, no you're not
    the Dub: you're just more honest
    the Dub: with me anyway
    me: that's generous, imo

Then I got harassed for twenty minutes about making plans to travel to Europe. Here is the thing- I really do want to go to Europe, preferably soon, but this is what the first half of my year suddenly turned into:
  • January 9th-10th: crappy hop travel for work. I would tell you where, but then I would have to kill you. Also, it might put you to sleep.
  • January 27th- 29th: making lemonade from lemons by turning an east coast business travel requirement into an excuse to go to NYC. Brooklyn, specifically. This is going to be a stealth operation, because, if any of my friends in the greater tri-state area find out, I will get barraged with "You have to come see the baby." And that never ends well for anyone. Instead, I am crashing at my favorite cousin's new digs in Brooklyn, and will try not to turn into an icicle.
  • January 29th- Feb 2nd: lemonades from lemons, part two: electric boogalo. I have to be in DC for work, but that obligation is not so bad when it means I will get to belatedly celebrate Anna's birthday in person. And hopefully, I will also get to meet Chai and force baked goods upon her, if procrastination does not get the best of me.
  • June 2nd- 6th: because my company is in the habit of torturing me, they choose to send me to DC when it's freezing, and to Atlanta when it's so hot and humid, you have to take a shower after going out to get your morning paper.

I realized all of this today, because I had finally had enough, and admitted to myself that I needed a datebook. Yes, I have become one of those people. But between classes, work, travel, and trying to pretend I have some semblance of a life, I claim self-defense. Right now, if I could have any wish in the world, I would probably wish to not have to (cringe) multi-task. Not only do I hate that word, but I also loathe the lack of focus in my life at the moment. On the other hand, I am well aware that I am the eternal malcontent. And thus, as soon as my wish was granted, I am sure I would yearn for the exact opposite. Doesn't stop me from complaining about things, so, either way, you lose. I apologize in advance.

I know I always write this, but believe me when I say that, in another hour, I shall be driving to the first liquor store in sight, and buying a large bottle of Grey Goose. The co-workers are throwing a little get-together, and I immediately volunteered for vodka duty. Yes, that encompasses both purchasing and consumption.

Ah, I'm off on a tear, which is typical on a Friday afternoon, but I promise that I will try to think a little more about science and other far more important things that deserve more words than this nonsense. In the meanwhile, go read Amardeep's excellent ruminations on science and poetry. It makes me want to delete my whole blog and start from scratch.

No comments: