Tuesday, January 24, 2006

positively 4th street

In this particular case, I am glad to be tagged by maisnon, since I really am too drained today to come up with anything interesting to write.

Four jobs I have had:
  • Ice-cream scooper at Haagen-Dazs. I credit this job with three important realizations: 1) going to college is a good idea, 2) coming home with stale ice cream on your clothes will cure you of enjoying ice cream ever again, and 3) industrial aluminum foil dispensers have heavy-duty cutting capabilities (stitches were involved).
  • Receptionist at an OB/GYN office. At the tender of age of just under 14. I didn't even realize how inappropriate that was at the time. I'm still trying to figure out how I got around child labor laws.
  • Accounts payable temp. I did this one summer during college, and made enough money to pay for books and living expenses for the entire following year. I spent that summer living with a family friend, an aunty who worked in the same department. It was like bootcamp. Every morning at 5 am, she woke me up. We worked until 7 pm, then went home and cooked dinner together. At 8:30 pm, the entire family had a mandated twenty-five minute walk. After a brief viewing of an aunty-approved television show, everyone was sent to bed. Lather, rinse, repeat.
  • Chemist. Sometimes I still miss it, mostly because it often felt so very academic. Then again, I didn't start baking until I quit chemistry, so I guess I still have a little piece of it with me.


Four movies I could watch over and over:


Four places I've lived:
  • Allston, MA- apartment robbed one week after move-in. Yay!
  • Edison (!), NJ- seriously, a mile from Oak Tree Road. I never had so many family visitors.
  • Nausea, NH- massive points if you can guess the name of the city based on that.
  • Irvine, CA- might have been the worst year of my life.


Four TV shows I love to watch:
  • The Sopranos- I subscribe to what the critics often say about this show: the worst Sopranos episode is better than nearly everything on television.
  • Project Runway- I've already shamefully admitted my addiction to this show.
  • The Daily Show- because in these times of Alito nominations and wire-tapping, comedy keeps me from falling into a pit of endless despair.
  • Lost- although I'm not sure I can say I love to watch it. Sometimes I hate that I have a need to watch it.


Four places I've been on vacation:
  • Singapore
  • Vietnam
  • Peru, b*tches!
  • Durango


Four of my favorite foods:
  • Chocolate (do you know how close I was to putting this down for every single bullet?)
  • Khakra... no seriously, khakra, I mean it. My grandmother makes the best, of course.
  • Burritos from El Toro. I felt like I was committing adultery when I went with SJM and co. to Tacqueria Cancun.
  • The good kind of pizza. I'm particular about pizza, and it's the one thing I miss most from the east coast. My favorite pizza is the kind that comes with a technique: fold in half, allow excess grease to ooze from the crust side, blot on paper napkin, enjoy.


Four places I'd rather be right now:
  • Spain, b*tches. It doesn't even require an explanation.
  • Hawaii. Like maisnon, I've never been. And I have been living on the west coast for over 3 years now. It's a little pathetic. I see a long weekend jaunt to one of the islands in my future, assuming I have some endless supply of time. And you know what assuming will do.
  • Argentina. I hear Patagonia is nice this time of year.
  • Germany. Not because I'd particularly like to be in Germany, but because my homey W lives there at present. And I miss him at least once a day.


Four sites I visit daily:
  • Sepia Mutiny- sometimes all it does is give me heartburn, but I still can't stop checking it out.
  • Gmail
  • NYT
  • SFist- Because it's not enough to live in this city. One must be kept apprised of all the happenings.


Four bloggers I am tagging:
  • Oodles
  • ads
  • Abhi (he won't comply, but this is a friendly kick in the pants for him to update his blog in 2006)
  • SJM (see above paranthetical remark, and the need to balance out XX with XY).


p.s. A lot is suddenly being made about Soderbergh releasing this film, Bubble, on DVD at the same time as its theatrical release. Based on the preview maisnon, ads, Roops, SJM and I saw before Brokeback Mountain, I have only this to say- isn't this what they used to call straight to video? Just a thought.

No comments: