Thursday, January 05, 2006

by saying there is no use changing

My friend R pointed out to me today that only losers pay to see cover bands. Well, in that case, Welcome to Loserville, Population: me. As soon as I heard the words Zoo Station and Violator, my wallet flew open. As far as I am concerned, I would rather listen to 2 hours of potentially crappy covers than 2 hours of potentially crappy unknown music. At least you get the camp factor with the cover bands. Occasionally when you go to see an unknown band, the music is well above crappy, but there's always a greater risk. I know this is the safe and boring path, but, whatever- I just hope the lead singer of Zoo Station wears really oversized sunglasses and acts like a pompous a$$.

One thing I love about San Francisco is that, although there are definitely a disproportionate amount of hipster foolios, there is also a sense that you can be whoever you are here, without getting an abundance of eyes askance. It's part of my friend SP's Anything is hip if you are ironic about it credo. I do not really know what that means, but I take it to mean that you can go watch a U2 cover band, and not feel asking, "Have you heard about the lonesome loser?" Blame that on this dumbkopf radio station in the city that insists on splashing cold water in my face by playing something like The Killers, followed by the fricking Little River Band. I've almost driven myself off the road a few times.

Anyway. This week has turned into a series of "Can I get home before 8 pm?" contests. And let me tell you, I am not on the winning side. And I'm not supposed to be here today!. Okay, that is not true, but it is fun to say when you get barraged with sh*t that you do not want to do. All I know is, I have to go home and do completely fake and laughable yoga to work out all the kinks in my shoulders and neck from all this stress, and who wants to feel like that after working a soul-sucking grind?

Of course, after all that b*tching and moaning, guess who I am going to the stupid cover band show with? Yep. My co-workers. I am a moron.

In other news, I love the way sports announcers are the biggest fairweather bastards ever. Before the Rose Bowl last night, it was "Reggie Bush! Reggie Bush! Reggie Bush!" Of course, as the game played out, that turned into "Vince Young! Vince Young! Vince Young!" It is still better than the days of watching Dennis Miller cover football, though.

p.s. There is so little that is girly about me, and I truly command one of the worst senses of fashion ever, but I cannot stop watching Project Runway. WTF has gone wrong with my brain?!?

(Updated to add: SH*T, now I've been lured by the possibility of awards show snarkage. With my luck, I will probably have an exam the next day. Damn you, Jon Stewart!)

No comments: