Tuesday, March 07, 2006

it's the same every day and the wave won't break

I just ate two Joseph Schmidt chocolates, and I feel the impending stomach ache, but I do not care. I am self-destructive like that. I am going to blame that on listening to Worldwide Suicide one too many times today. Here goes the last three hipster points I have been clinging to, but I have remained a steadfast Pearl Jam fan for longer than I have stayed friends with most people. I think Stereogum put it best when they offered this challenge to their readers:
And to the fans, haters, and indie snobs, let's see your best analogy ... Which of this/last year's new bands could possibly follow the grunge kings' curious career path: i.e., peak critically and commercially with their debut (causing a series of shitty imitators), remain steadfastly political and anti-commercial (no MTV, no Ticketmaster, no Bush), yet maintain a dedicated fanbase for 15 years?

The new song is pretty good and available free for download at their own site. It is not for me to convince anyone to adore Pearl Jam. They do just fine without me, and sell out stadium-sized venues every time they tour, partly because they rock concerts like nobody's business. Maybe I can get some of my indie points back by noting that PJ has often had fantastic bands open for them like Death Cab, Sonic Youth, and Sleater-Kinney. No? Oh well.

Anyway, truth be told, I am writing about that because I am too frazzled to write about much else. I spent my lunch hour subjected to two male coworkers talk about the best tests at Costco to measure ovulation and how often to get busy in order to maximize the chances of getting the job done. Yes, you understood me correctly. At many points during the conversation, I tried interjecting to steer it in a different direction. At one point, I said, "I think I preferred when you guys were talking about remodeling your kitchens. Can we go back to talking about tile colors?" But they ignored me and kept right on chatting about how to get their wives knocked up. Why men constantly feel comfortable sharing this kind of information with me is way beyond my grasp.

Then I capped the day off with a two-hour meeting that ended with me leaving the room, heading to RR's office, and entreating him with the following request: "So, you're against gun control. Would you kindly shoot me in the head? Because they are killing me."

He said, "That sounds like something that was translated from English to French back into English again." Unhelpful bastard.

No comments: