Tuesday, March 14, 2006

this time I'm losing my mind

Today is definitely a take this job and shove it-type of day. It ranks up there amongst the worst of them. There are days when my work is just pointless, but there are days like this, when it is downright frustrating. It is fairly annoying that I am working late and that there is still more to do. But it is far more annoying to see a problem plainly, and have no power to fix it. I am watching a ship sink, people. I am throwing out life rafts, and the captain is laughing in my face, dancing. Sure, the captain is headed for the abyss. You can see that. I can see that. But he cannot see that. This feeling of helplessness causes much worse ulceration than any deadline or heavy workload ever could.

Days like this, I have to remind myself that I really do not ultimately give a sh*t about all this noise. Also, it helps to listen to Gotan Project's La Revancha del Tango album at least five times. I blame the jaunt to Iluna Basque for this. Speaking of the Basque, my GBF JP is in deep, true lowe for all things basque. And he will quibble if you simply categorize him as a francophile. He once sat me down and flipped through a photography collection of the Basque Country with me for two hours, with a detailed explanation of each page, including comments like, "look how they all wear their socks." This was further excruciating because JP and his roommate (from France) kept interjecting with French babble that meant absolutely nothing to me, followed by a peel of laughter. Yeah, thanks guys, you two are f*cking hilarious!

My pseudo-bro PG seized on JP's obsession with this part of the world, and started to refer to anything really superb as the basque. It is really stupid, but as a result, conversations between them would go like this, quite naturally:
    JP: Oh, that restaurant was not very good.
    PG: Are you kidding, it was the basque.
    JP: (without missing a beat) No, it was the worse.

It is really dumb that PG gets such a kick out of messing with JP's variable command of the English language. I am apparently quite dumb then, as it never fails to make me laugh. Now, whenever the three of us are talking about something that rocks, we have to call it the basque. More proof that stupidity is contagious.

No comments: