Monday, March 12, 2007

roll a new life over

I'm beginning to feel an Unbearable Lightness of Being, if you will.

But instead of getting into that, here's the song of the week- Walkaways by the Counting Crows, for a host of reasons all of the same theme. It's brief, abruptly so for an album track, and maybe that's the whole point. Yet, it's funny how something so brief can capture quite a bit, at least for me, right now.

'Gotta rush away', she said, 'I've been to Boston before,
and anyway, this change I've been feeling doesn't make the rain fall.
No big differences these days, just the same old walkaways.
Some day, I'm gonna stay, but not today.'


There you have it. I'm leaving, but it isn't as though I haven't left a place before. It isn't as though I haven't left entire lifetimes behind me. And things are changing, but it's not earth-shattering, not so momentous as to cause the skies to part. And in so many ways, this is not unexpected of me- I'm always the one that seems to slip out the back door. Yet if there was one place I'd want to stay, it's here in this city. But not today.

So, instead, I'm setting myself on a path of walking away, periodically, for a long time to come. Maybe that's bothering me a little at the moment. On the other hand, I wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments: