Friday, August 17, 2007

hooray hooray

Wouldn't it just figure that the moment that I say I am putting the song of the week on hiatus I encounter a song that would have been perfect to post? Maybe you have all heard it already, but I have been listening to the new Rilo Kiley tune, Silver Lining, constantly all of a sudden.

See, unlike some people, I really and truly am a child of the 80s, much as the 90s were much more formative years for me. And I will have you know that I also think the 80s were not a decade devoid of anything worthwhile, as was hinted somewhere by someone. Oh yes, I know, I know, I know we had fluorescent colors and jelly shoes and Wham (don't hate!). But we also had ****ing Depeche Mode, New Order, the Cure, Michael Jackson back when he was not insane, Prince when he was a straight-up freak. And oh- can you imagine what it is like to be an adolescent and hear a new album break that turns out to be the Violent Femmes' first?

So you know, I am pretty okay with being a child of the 80s. For example, yesterday at lunch, some children of the 90s were reminiscing over the Power Rangers, while I was reminiscing over Voltron. Sorry, but I win.

But back to the point. I am truly convinced that some of the coolest music I have heard in this particular decade came directly from influences from the 80s. If it weren't for the 80s and all those crazy video game sounds and wacky synth-y music, there wouldn't be a Killers. And that would be a shame. I'm also convinced there would be no song called the Silver Lining by Rilo Kiley. That would make me very sad, because it is the little, slight, gentle sound of pretty. Hmmm. That sentence makes no sense, which is what happens when I try to write a blogpost in two minutes. But you see what I am saying.

No comments: