Thursday, January 13, 2005

resurfaced to the norm

So here's a ridiculous cycle that, nonetheless, seems to work for me:
  • Leave work by 6:30 in order to avoid missing tv show (incidentally, ick, ick, ick!!! [if you watch, you know what I'm talking about]), but take work home to finish later.
  • After watching one hour of television, get sucked into other tasks, like making a fried egg and cheese sandwich (I know this is not typical dinner food, but it's tasty, and some times my life is ruled by the contents of my refrigerator).
  • Consider turning on my computer to work, but notice that the first half of Much Ado about Nothing is on, and get sucked into that.
  • Wake up early this morning, get in to work at warp speed, fueled by guilt of previous evening's sloth-like behavior.
  • In a burst of productivity, with the aid of caffeine and a healthy dose of panic, bust out all work intended in an hour and a half, in the early hours of the day, before annoying colleagues start taking coffee breaks in my office.

There must be a better way. But the problem is, I'm only motivated by work about 50% of the time, which is why I'm trying real hard to be the shepherd... wait, no, that's not it- I'm trying really hard to alter the situation. Change will come, but it is rarely the change that is planned. Therein lies the rub.

Since I mentioned Much Ado about Nothing, let me just say that it is by far my most favorite Shakespeare film adaptation. Brannagh has a knack for Shakespeare in general, I suppose. I've always been a fan of this particular comedy too, because it has one of the most kick-ass Shakespearean female characters, one Beatrice, who tongue lashes men left and right. There is a kind of banter in the play that is the stuff of rom-com writers' dreams. For example:
Beatrice: I wonder that you will still be talking, Signor Benedick. Nobody marks you.
Benedick: What, my dear Lady Disdain. Are you yet living?
Beatrice: Is't possible Disdain should die whilst she hath such meet food to feed it as Signor Benedick? Courtesy itself must convert to Disdain when you come in her presence.
Also, I love that the two Romeo & Juliet-type characters (Claudio & Hero, for those playing along at home) are pegged as a bit thick. My big problem with Romeo & Juliet (and also the biggest sign that I am no longer young and naive) is that they were just so impulsive- how about holding on for five minutes before offing yourself? Sorry, but suicide is in no way romantic at the age of 14- I promise, you'll find someone else! My only issue with the film version of Much Ado about Nothing is the presence of Keanu Reeves. First of all, he's playing Denzel Washington's half-brother, which is a bit of a stretch. Secondly, even in iambic pentameter, he still sounds like a surf-boy who should be ending each line with dude. But even if you include Mr. I know Kung Fu, it's still worth the price of rental (or in this case, cable).

No comments: